Friday, August 18, 2017

30 Years of Rails-to-Trails Conservancy

Rails-to-Trails Conservancy (RTC) is an American nonprofit organization formed in 1986 and based in Washington, D.C. that works with communities to preserve unused railroad corridors by transforming them into rail trails within the USA for walking, running and bicycling. With more than 2,000 rail-trails and more than 31,000 miles of multiuse trails nationwide, RTC's focus is on linking these corridors — creating trail networks that connect people and places, just as the railroads once did.

RTC uses a three-pronged strategy to realize its vision of trails at the heart of healthy, thriving communities: changes in public policy, changes in infrastructure and changes in personal behavior.

I'm a long-time user of rails-to-trails pathways, with my favorite (so far) being the Hiawatha Trail in northern Idaho. In Indiana, where I live, I've enjoyed running and biking on the Nickel Plate Trail and Panhandle Pathway. On my list to do is the Cardinal Greenway, a 62-mile path which touches five Indiana counties. I'd also like to cycle the Katy Trail in Missouri. Want to find a rails-to-trails route near you? Go to www.traillink.com. It is an excellent resource set up by the RTC, providing verified maps and detailed information about 31,000 miles of trails across the USA.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: