In 2006, Christian was a 23-year-old Connecticut high school teacher. He completed his run across America on December 16th of that year using a support vehicle and crew. While my focus was to keep a promise I had made to some elementary students, Christian's focus was to raise money to benefit cancer survivors and patients.
Christian ran from San Francisco, California to Narragansett, Rhode Island and became the 25th crew-supported journey runner to cross America on foot. Several years later, he was asked what his thoughts were focused on as he pounded out the miles across the country. He said, "Mostly, I spoke to God and asked for strength, courage and endurance to complete the task." I did the same!
I ran 3,260 miles across America in 108 days on the road, while Christian covered 3,400 miles in 169 days. I averaged 30 miles per day while he averaged 20 miles per day. I was 18 years older than Christian when we did our separate runs across the United States and although we were both on America's roadways at the same time, we didn't actually communicate with each other.
Aside from Christian McEvoy and I, in 2006 there were six other attempts by people to walk or run across America. However, Christian and I were the only ones to successfully complete crossings that year. Today, "Dr. McEvoy" is a General Surgery Resident with the U.S. Navy.
As he was running across Iowa, Christian was quoted in a local newspaper: "A run across the United States is... a little bit of madness and a little bit of craziness." That it is, Christian. That it is!
From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),
- United States in 2006 (3,260 miles solo in 108 days at age 41)
- Montana in 2008 (620 miles solo in 20 days at age 43)
- Alaska in 2009 (500 miles solo in 18 days at age 44)
- Germany in 2010 (500 miles solo in 21 days at age 45)
- The Mojave Desert in 2011 (506 miles solo in 17 days at age 46)
- Various Photos From Mileposts Gone By
- Students Worldwide Who Ran With Me Virtually
- Roadside Sights From My Running Adventures
- Some Cycling Moments From The Past