Monday, October 22, 2018

Living, Loving and Laughing as a Husband, Dad and Step-Dad

I must say, there are incredible joys that come with being Kelley's husband in addition to being a Dad and Step-dad. In fact, there is a genuine and deep peace and contentment that I have with my life... finally. Those of you who have known me for years -- and some for many decades -- know that life for me prior to 2015 hadn't been on a very smooth path. In fact, the rocks and potholes on that road eventually turned into mountains and valleys. However, I have truly reached a place of happiness on a smooth and level path that stretches to the horizon of my future.

I look down at my hands on the keyboard and see the shine of the wedding band that Kelley placed on my hand. One glance immediately brings to my mind and heart every ounce of love, emotion and gratitude I felt when she and I exchanged our vows. That ring is a symbol of our love and commitment, and reflects the eternal promise of the vows we exchanged.

Although six of our eight children are adults, none have yet married. Eventually, Kelley and I will have married children... and one day we'll be grandparents. Believe me, I am in no rush to add the word "grand" to my parent title! However, when that day comes I will embrace it with all of my heart. For now, I am living, loving and laughing as a very content husband, dad and step-dad.

When I spoke at my wedding reception, I shared with those in attendance that sometimes life's path becomes skewed -- taking you in a direction that you didn't anticipate. Although such moments can be quite difficult and/or challenging when they occur, it can ultimately guide you to a new path filled with great and often unexpected blessings. That is precisely what happened in my life. Kelley is a blessing beyond measure and our eight children are gifts from God.

I believe that one of the most difficult things about having adult children is that you often don't see them as much as you would like. My four children currently live in Montana and Minnesota, while I am in Indiana. Sure, in today's technologically-advanced world we have texting, SnapChat, and more to keep in touch. However, those things simply do not compare to actually spending one-on-one time together with your children.

As I was hugging my adult children goodbye following my wedding, I simply didn't want to let go. Yes, I was emotional... a bit of a 'puddle' as I hugged them. However, the tears were an expression of how much they mean to me and how I miss them when we're not together. They have careers to chase down, relationships to build, and bills to pay. They have adult obligations, as I do, and their path in life has taken them in a direction that is not on my street, in my town, or within my state. I understand that and I truly want to see my children become successful in whatever they pursue.

Life is a journey, from start to finish, and we are often in control of the rudder... steering the direction in which we will go. However, there are times when we have absolutely no control and life can send us in an unexpected direction. In such times, it's important to keep your eyes open for the unexpected blessings. Those blessings can appear as suddenly as the beacon of a lighthouse on a new shore, seemingly pulling you to a different place in life. May the light that you're drawn to always give you a peaceful landing and bright future!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: