Friday, November 16, 2018

Fit as a Fiddle at 53

I'm sure at some point you've heard the phrase, "Fit as a Fiddle." The meaning is to be fit and very well. Of course, 'fiddle' has been the colloquial name for violin. 'Fit' didn't originally mean healthy and energetic, in the sense it is often used nowadays. When the phrase "Fit as a Fiddle" was coined, 'fit' was used to mean 'suitable, seemly,' in the way we now might say 'fit for purpose'. The now common idiom -- "Fit as a Fiddle" -- is used by people to describe their health, or to say that they are in good shape. Why a fiddle? Perhaps due to its shape. I'm not really sure and would have to do more reading about it. Regardless, I'm happy to say that at age 53... I'm as fit as a fiddle!

I recently had my annual physical exam. As always, it was pretty extensive. I'm 5'9" tall, weigh 158 pounds, have a 31-inch waist, and my blood pressure is 118/68. My heart and lungs are healthy. My complete blood count (CBC) results came back great! My cholesterol levels are good; triglycerides levels are normal; lipid numbers are where they should be; thyroid, liver and kidney function normal; blood glucose level is normal; body mass index is normal; and, my Prostate-Specific Antigen (PSA) test was "perfect," according to my doctor. I have never had to take any medications for anything and there is no indication that any medications are in my near future. I do take a daily multi-vitamin, but that's it.

So, were there any recommendations given to me by my doctor? Yes, one. He suggested that I get more fiber in my diet. According to the Institute of Medicine, the average adult only eats 15 grams of fiber per day. Men over age 50 should be getting at least 30 grams per day. I can increase my fiber intake by eating more plant foods -- vegetables, beans, fruit, whole grains, and nuts. These foods are all naturally rich in nutrients, including fiber, and provide all the health benefits that go along with a fiber-rich diet.

Top sources of fiber are: beans (all kinds), peas, chickpeas, black-eyed peas, artichokes, whole wheat flour, barley, bulgur, bran, raspberries, blackberries, and prunes. Good sources of fiber include: lettuce, dark leafy greens, broccoli, okra, cauliflower, sweet potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, potatoes with the skin, corn, snap beans, asparagus, cabbage, whole wheat pasta, oats, popcorn, nuts, raisins, pears, strawberries, oranges, bananas, blueberries, mangoes, and apples. So, I'll be increasing my fiber intake and seeing my doctor again one year from now for another annual exam.

After discussing my annual results, my doctor told me, "keep doing what you're doing." He said that it's great to see a 53-year-old man who doesn't have any health issues and who isn't needing any medications. So, I'm as fit as a fiddle!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: