Wednesday, October 31, 2018

Life WAS a Highway... and Now it is a Rest Area!

This year has been the most amazing of my life. My youngest child became an adult; I watched my four adult children blaze paths in their life; I purchased a lovely new home; I married the most beautiful and loving woman in the world; I became a Step Dad to wonderful children; and... finally... entered a time in life where rest, peace and contentment are a regular part of my days. For me, 2018 will always be looked upon as the year when I was blessed beyond my greatest prayers!

Those of you who followed my adventure runs across states and countries between 2006 and 2011 know that the song "Life is a Highway" (written by Tom Cochrane, from his 1991 album Mad Mad World and later performed by Rascal Flatts) is one that I often used in my music slideshows about my adventures. Part of the lyrics are:

Life's like a road that you travel on,
When there's one day here and the next day gone.
Sometimes you bend and sometimes you stand,
Sometimes you turn your back to the wind.
There's a world outside every darkened door,
Where blues won't haunt you anymore.
Where brave are free and lovers soar,
Come ride with me to the distant shore...
There's no load I can't hold,
A road so rough this I know,
I'll be there when the light comes in,
Tell 'em we're survivors.
Life is a highway.

That song resonated with me while I ran endlessly along America's highways and overseas. Back then, life was just one long road and as long as I was out there... away from the darkened door... blues wouldn't haunt me. Regardless of what life threw at me, I knew the road would help me to remember that there was no load I couldn't hold. The road beat me up at times, but at least I was outside the darkened door... a survivor on life's highway. I knew that the road would eventually lead to the distant shore, and I just had to keep reaching for the mileposts to one day get there. Life indeed was a highway back then, but today it is a permanent rest area. I am at peace -- on the shore I longed for -- and am truly content with life.

I'm looking forward to enjoying the holiday season with my family... loving each and every moment. Life is no longer a highway. It is a rest area with no darkened doors, blues or unbearable loads. Yes, the light has come in and I'm a survivor.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: