Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Age 22: Happy, Free, Confused and Lonely -- It's Miserable and Magical

In 2012, singer-songwriter Taylor Swift released a song titled "22." The song reflects feelings one may experience when reaching the age of 22. Part of the lyrics include: "We're happy, free, confused and lonely in the best way. It's miserable and magical." Although that song was written 25 years after I turned 22 years of age, I look back on that age and can relate with the words confused, lonely and miserable -- as noted in the song. You see, it was a time in my life when I wasn't being completely honest with myself or others.

This photo of me was taken in May 1987 when I was barely 22 years of age. I was working in a garden center in Alaska and living meagerly. Just seven months earlier I had made my first attempt to run across the United States and was focused on returning to college to obtain a degree in religion and become a youth pastor. Unfortunately, I had made a couple of poor choices in the months immediately before and after my 1986 USA run attempt and those choices would set me on a path causing prolonged pain, turmoil, regret, and emotional distress. However, I learned that God can bless a person's life even as they travel the rockiest road.

I look at the young man in this photo and see someone who was convicted in his heart to do the right thing, no matter the cost -- in a way, trying to right a wrong. At 22, I was a guy who had briefly compromised in some areas of his life and was working hard to get back on course and to be a man of integrity. Knowing that one of my abilities was perseverance, I determined that perseverance would be what I would lean on in the future. And, that's exactly what I did.

All of us -- and I do mean ALL of us -- make mistakes in life. We make decisions that we wish we didn't, make choices that we wish we could change, and express thoughts that shouldn't have been given a voice. Just as Romans 3:23 reads: "for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." I know those words to be true based on my own 55 years of existence on this big blue marble we call earth. At age 21-22, I struggled with certain failures and shortcomings. Even so, I truly aimed to set my sights on God, His Word, and the abilities He had blessed me with. I went into my 20's having had a couple of girlfriends; maintaining my virginity; continuing a solid academic performance; some noteworthy athletic achievements; and, never having had any brush with the law. I definitely aimed to do things properly. I wanted to make my parents proud and I wanted to be proud of myself -- without arrogance or self promotion. I guess in a way I wanted to be the 1980's equivalent of the 1950's Richie Cunningham (and those of you who watched the old Happy Days sitcom know who I'm referring to!).

Life is a course of doing things right and doing things wrong. Hopefully, we do more right than wrong and actually learn from the wrong moments. Unfortunately, there are those who will view our life and simply refuse to look at the right moments... choosing to fixate on the wrong moments. They judge others while placing themselves on a pedestal far above the ones they've judged. Such people are typically egocentric, arrogant and exhibit sophomaniac tendencies (sophomania being a delusion of superior intelligence). Sometimes, such people can have a narcissistic personality. I've known several such people in my life, and I've been on the receiving end of their verbal daggers and unfounded judgments.

Yes, life is indeed a journey of choices and decisions, and mistakes in life are as sure to occur as the sun setting, the moon rising, and the tide adjusting. The key to navigating the course as painlessly as possible is knowing when to humble, when to apologize, when to forgive, and not repeating poor choices and decisions. We all have a finite number of days on earth and each of us should strive to make each and every day one that reflects the best that we have to offer in honesty, integrity, decency and love. One day we'll come face to face with the Lord, and at that time I'm praying I'll experience the words of Matthew 25:23 -- "His Lord said unto him, Well done, good and faithful servant."

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: