Monday, January 1, 2024

Born in 1965 and Still Running Forward in 2024

Here we are... the year 2024. This is a leap year and I'll be leaping into the final year of my 50s. As a father of adult children and a grandfather of four, I'm looking back on my life since 1965 and realizing that I'm as old as such things as the Super Bowl; the Days of Our Lives soap opera; and, the Sound of Music movie. I'm also the same age as Ironman (Robert Downey Jr.), Ben Stiller and Chris Rock. I'm also as old as Medicare and Medicaid -- both of which started in 1965. The year I was born, the Gemini Space Program continued to lay the groundwork for an eventual manned mission to the moon, which happened in 1969 when I was four years of age. And, I recently learned that I'm as old as the 630-foot-tall parabolic steel Gateway Arch in St. Louis, Missouri (The St. Louis Arch).

Most of the people I work with in ministry are younger than I am, and the high school teens I lead in my parish youth group are over 40 years younger than I am. In the next decade I'll retire to enjoy more time with my wife, adult children, and grandchildren. However, before then I'm going to do my very best in my role as Director of Faith Formation at the Catholic parish I am at, as well as appreciate every moment with my family, including holidays, birthdays, vacations, celebrations, and the day-to-day blessings that come with being a Dad, Stepdad and Grandad.

Being born on a Sunday in 1965, I am in the first year of Generation X. Recently, Indeed.com reported that those of Generation X "grew up with minimal adult supervision, quickly learning the value of independence and work-life balance. They also appreciate informality, are technologically adept, flexible and highly educated. Gen X tends to be natural problem-solvers, often finding creative solutions to problems. Their resourceful work style makes them excellent leaders, supervisors and team members. Gen Xers are self-sufficient, resourceful and individualistic... they value freedom and responsibility and try to overcome challenges on their own."

Having run solo and self-supported across states and countries -- often having to independently solve issues as they arise -- I see some real truth in the definition of Generation X that Indeed.com reports. I believe that my work ethic and problem-solving skills have truly assisted me in many areas of my life. I know that each generation has its own strengths, but I'm glad to have grown up in the 1960s and 1970s. The world was a far different place back then and although there are those of younger generations who don't believe that "Boomers" or "Generation Xers" have wisdom worth hearing, I do believe that my generation certainly is one to learn from.

Today, we've started 2024 and I'm going to make the most of this final year of my 50s. I'm in good shape, have no health concerns, require no medications, and am blessed to still be able to run and cycle in many ways as strong as I did in my 30s and 40s.  I hope that all of you reading this have a fantastic new year. Keep reaching for your goals and dreams!

Gotta Run,

Paul J. Staso

_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: