Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Celebrating 53 Years of Age... Older Than "Herbie"

Today, I'm celebrating my 53rd birthday. There may be those who read this blog who knew me back in 1982 when I was 17 years old and purchased my first car -- a 1969 Volkswagen Bug. I spent $500 to buy that orange Bug and it served me well throughout my senior year of high school. Then, in college I purchased a 1971 Bug that had a bad muffler which made the car sound like thunder when the gas pedal was pushed. It was chocolate brown in color and was given the nickname "Chocolate Thunder."

When I was a boy in the 1970's, I saw "Herbie" for the first time. Of course, Herbie is from the 1968 movie, "The Love Bug" (and I was born in 1965). The racing car seemed to have a mind and spirit of its own -- capable of driving itself! The VW used in the movie was actually a 1963 model and according to the filmmakers, Herbie's number 53 came from a Disney producer who liked retired baseball pitching star, Don Drysdale of the Los Angeles Dodgers. Drysdale's uniform number was 53.

Over the years there have been various "Herbie" movies since the original in 1968, such as Herbie Rides Again (1974); Herbie Goes to Monte Carlo (1977); Herbie Goes Bananas (1980); The Love Bug (1997); and, Herbie Fully Loaded (2005).

The VW Bug has been around since 1938. However, earlier this year Volkswagen announced that after 80 years of Bug production, they are no longer going to produce the little cars. I guess you can say that the bug is hitting the windshield! The VW Bug may be on its way out, but I am aiming for many more decades! The Bug lasted 80 years and I plan to far surpass that! For now, I'm going to enjoy having my age reflect the number shown on the iconic Herbie Bug -- 53!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: