Thursday, December 6, 2018

Why Are Wedding Rings Worn on the Fourth Finger of the Left Hand?



Earlier this year, I married the most wonderful woman in the world -- Kelley. We exchanged vows and wedding rings in front of family and friends. As I was in my office today, I looked down at my wedding band and smiled. I love wearing this symbol of the love and commitment that Kelley and I share. Did you know that there is actually a historical reason as to why most people wear their wedding band on the left hand ring finger?

The wedding ring tradition dates back to ancient Egypt, as archaeologists have found evidence in hieroglyphics that brides would wear a ring. The Egyptians, who first started wearing wedding bands as a symbol of eternity, believed there was a delicate nerve that ran from the fourth finger all the way to the heart. Of course, we know now that the heart is an organ for pumping blood, but back then it was thought to be the center of our emotions.

Ancient Greeks and ancient Romans also slipped wedding rings on their left ring fingers for a similar reason. They believed a "vein of love" (vena amoris) ran from that finger to the heart. Even though that vein and nerve don’t exist, Western countries have continued the ancient tradition. However, in some other cultures the wedding ring goes on the right hand.

Traditionally, women were the only ones to wear wedding rings. Men didn’t join in until the early 20th century. During the World Wars, soldiers would wear wedding rings as a means of remembering their loved ones. It was only after the Korean War that male wedding bands took on the sentimental value they have today. It was then when the creation of matching wedding rings increased and designs specifically for men came about.

Yes, I love wearing my wedding band and it is truly a symbol of the eternal love and commitment that Kelley and I share.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: