Saturday, February 29, 2020

Miles of Unique Smiles in the Most Unexpected Locations

I saw smiles in some of the most unexpected places as I ran here, there and everywhere during my running career. Whether it was a hay bale saying "Hay Dude"... a weird smiling metallic structure bolted to a fence with a big red tongue sticking out... or some road patch material placed in the shape of a smile -- it seems that at times when I really needed a smile, I got one in a surprising way.

I've written before in this blog on the topic of feelings of loneliness. However, when I would usually see these unique smiles along the roadside were usually at times when I was physically hurting or quite exhausted. It was almost like the path I was following was telling me through these occasional smiles that everything was going to be okay and that I just had to keep moving forward.

Have you ever had a moment like that? When... out of the blue... you receive a small bit of encouragement that picks you up enough to keep you moving forward? Those are special moments in life, and I had plenty of such moments while running thousands of miles across states and countries.

Did you know that smiling more often helps your body deal with stressful situations more effectively? A 2015 study published in Psychological Science found that smiling can result in a lower heart rate during stressful tasks. Stress generally causes increases in heart rate and blood pressure. So, maintaining a smile when stressed provides you with both psychological and physical health benefits.

Smile, and have a great day!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: