Wednesday, February 22, 2017

I Qualify For "Senior" Discounts? Excuse Me, But I'll Pass On That!

A few years ago, when I was 49 years of age, I walked to my mailbox one day to find an AARP application. AARP? ME join the AARP?? For those of you who don't know, AARP stands for the "American Association of Retired Persons." With over 39 million U.S. members, its mission is to enhance the quality of life for all as they age. The minimum age to join is 50.

So, when I was 49 the "AARP" invitation envelopes started popping into my mailbox. However, I wasn't a retired person. In fact, I don't even have any gray hair yet! Why were they trying to get me to join? Personally, I don't know anyone who has officially retired by 50. Guess I don't rub elbows with a lot of wealthy people around the 5-decade mark who can sail off on their yacht and leave the working world behind!

I'm only 6 weeks away from turning 52 and yes... a couple of years ago I ended up joining AARP for $16/year. Why? Well, to be honest, I'm not sure why I joined. I figured it's what people my age do. I haven't used the membership at all in the two years I've been a part of AARP. Regardless, I'm one of the 39 million Americans who get coupons and "deals" for members who are in the second half of life.

A few weeks ago, my fiancé and I were at a local movie theater. Before the previews began playing, there was an announcement that seniors, age 50 and older, can get a discount to a weekday matinee at that particular theater. I couldn't believe it! Yes, I'm about to turn 52... but can I really be considered a "senior?" Sure, I have an AARP membership card in my wallet, and I apparently qualify for a theater ticket at a discount price if I were to skip work and go to a matinee in the middle of the week. But, the question lingered... does society actually consider me a senior as I approach my 52nd birthday? I had to look into this more closely.

It turns out, there are a lot of discounts available to people who are at least 50 years of age. For instance, I can buy things at Krispy Kreme for 10% off, and at Steak 'n Shake restaurants I can get 10% off every Monday and Tuesday. At C.J. Banks I can get 10% off every Wednesday, and at Dollar Rent-A-Car I can get 10% off anytime. But the savings don't stop there! I can also save 10% at Travelodge since I'm 50+ years of age, and I can get $13 off of one-day tickets at Busch Gardens in Tampa, Florida. Since I'm an AARP member I also get an array of car rental discounts, 10% off at Michael's stores on Tuesdays, and 15% off of meals at Outback Steakhouse during Monday through Thursday.

I remember when 65+ was considered a "senior citizen" for such discounts! Now a person as young as 50 can qualify for 10% to 15% off on car rentals, clothes, food, and more. Some dictionaries define "senior citizen" as a person over the age of 65. In everyday speech, the term is now often shortened to “senior.” In legislation, the term applies to the age at which pensions, social security or medical benefits for the elderly become available. So, how in the world do I qualify for the title of "senior" and discounts of 10% to 15%? As you can probably tell, I'm still puzzled about this.

I heard that Dairy Queen used to give a 10% discount to those 50 and over, but now the age is 55 and over. Guess I'll have to wait a few more years to chill out with fellow "seniors" at the local DQ!
Final Note: I do hope that those who have read this are familiar enough with me to know that senior discounts are not something I chase after. In fact, as I approach 52 years of age I feel as young as ever... and I plan to keep that momentum going for many years to come!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: