Wednesday, March 1, 2017

A Dog Can Be A Wonderful Running Companion!

I used to run with my black lab, "Fenway" -- yes, named after the famous baseball park in Boston. Fenway would accompany me on runs of up to 5 miles. That was about his max and I always made sure to share my water bottle with him. Fenway was a wonderful dog to run with. He kept a consistent pace and didn't stop every 10 feet to smell flowers, relieve himself, or to stare at birds in the sky. Fenway and I seemed to have an unspoken understanding... when we were going out for a run, running is what we were going to do.

I recently read an article in Outside magazine about running with a dog. The article states that the distance your dog can run depends mostly on his or her innate abilities and current fitness. I agree with that. You know your dog better than anyone and you need to know what his or her limits are. Pay attention to their energy level as you're pounding out the miles. If your dog is on a leash and pulling you along like a sled dog until the end of your run, clearly the dog has not been overworked. If the dog is trailing behind you and becoming less animated with its tongue nearly dragging on the ground as it pants heavily, the run was probably too much.

Fenway and I started out gradually. My first run with him was only a mile, and we gradually worked up to a 5-mile, steady run. Also, we only ran together every other day to begin with. I wanted Fenway to gradually become a runner, just like humans should do. I increased Fenway's mileage about 10 percent per week to allow him to adapt at a safe pace.

If you've never run with a dog before, know that it can take some time to teach your dog good habits. In the beginning, Fenway seemed notorious at the cutting me off to look at something on the side of the road or trail, causing me to nearly trip over him. It took time for him to learn how to run with me without interfering with my running. Remember, for most dogs, running on a leash is not natural and takes some getting used to. Be patient with your dog, correct the dog with a consistent and calm (but firm) voice, and enjoy the opportunity to have special time with your pet.

I'll always have fond memories of my runs with Fenway.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: