Wednesday, March 8, 2017

I've Never Been Into "Road Racing," Just Road Conquering!

I've been a runner for 42 years, starting in 1975 at the age of 10. Over the decades I've come across several runners who keep the race bib from every running event they've participated in, some having a wall dedicated to displaying those bibs. I've never had such a wall, and the number of "races" that I've participated in probably wouldn't be enough to cover a wall. You see, I'm not a racer.

Perhaps my passion for running across states and countries  which was born in 1984 when I was 19  is the reason why running races don't appeal to me. Once you've pushed yourself all alone over a vast amount of land through any and all conditions that might arise... a "road race" just isn't as appealing, at least not to me. Please don't get me wrong, I salute anyone who runs a 5K, 10K, Half Marathon, Marathon, 30-Miler, 50-Miler, 100-Miler, and so on. It takes dedication to be a runner and I've stood on the sidelines of many races cheering for others as they've reached for the finish line. However, reaching for the finish line in a road race doesn't ignite in me the desire that reaching for the horizon does.

Most of the road racing that I've done was between the ages of 16 and 35. Usually, those races were done for fun and as a distraction from my regular routine of logging mega-mileage as I aimed to prepare for some big endurance endeavor. For the most part, I have fond memories of the races and 'fun runs' that I did. I would have to say that my favorite would have been in 2006 when I did a one-mile fun run event with my two sons, who were only 6 and 8 years of age at the time. I always enjoyed watching my children run in races, and this summer my eldest daughter (who is an elementary teacher) is aiming to run her first half marathon!

Sure, I still have some road racing bibs from years gone by. However, you won't find them hanging on a wall. They're tucked away in a box somewhere. As a runner, you do whatever helps you to stay motivated. For some, that includes having a wall covered in racing bibs. To that I say wonderful! Stay motivated, encouraged, and uplifted by your achievements! After covering tens of thousands of miles in my running career, I can honestly say that conquering the roads behind me has given me a deep satisfaction... a satisfaction that is at the core of who I am  both as a two-legged human striding on this planet and as a "runner." I may not have worn a 'bib' as I conquered those land masses, but I have deep-rooted memories that hang on the wall of my heart.

For those of you who begin this life wearing a baby's bib and end it wearing a runner's bib, I applaud you! Run on road racers!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: