Monday, August 8, 2016

Go For A Run -- And Leave The Gadgets Behind

I've been a runner since 1976. Back then you could pick up a copy of Runner's World magazine and see that most of the advertisements were for running shoes and clothes. Now, all sorts of 'gadgets' can be found, supposedly making you a better and/or more efficient runner. Times have really changed in 40 years since I first strapped on a pair of shoes and became a part of the running boom of the 1970's. Many of today's "runners" look like they're ready to board a rocket for a trip into space! Running gadgets have become a necessity for so many runners. Maybe I'm to 'old school,' but I just don't see the need for all of these gadgets.

I can't say that I haven't purchased a few gadgets myself. My first such gadget was a Panasonic Walkman Cassette Player in 1981... which seemed to cut out the music with every other heel strike, but it was considered cool because you could have music on the run. I've also had headlamps, a safety vest and safety lights for night running, as well as a CamelBak for very long runs. Of course, as I've run solo across states and countries I've had with me a variety of gadgets (GPS, computer, satellite phone, digital camera, cell phone, etc.). However, I don't use those items for everyday running. So, I can't say that I haven't purchased gadgets for running. However, I don't need gadgets or technology to be a runner, and neither do you.

There are some gadgets for runners that I've never used, such as a heart rate monitor. I suppose since I'm a guy that has run as much as 100 miles in a day that it would be presumed that I would have trained with a heart monitor, but I haven't. I've also never purchased an iPhone and I don't use computerized equipment to monitor my running. I don't upload my training runs to any online log and I don't post selfies on each training run I do (although I do take selfies when I'm running across a state or country). I've never used the high-tech synthetic tape, a GoPro, recovery sandals, arm warmers, or pace bands.

Running gadgets are everywhere and companies make a lot of money by convincing runners -- especially newbies -- that you aren't a real runner unless you have these gadgets. My advice to you is to unplug for your next run. Put on some running attire and head out the door, even leaving your watch behind (and I rarely run with a watch). Take in the sights and sounds around you and don't worry about how fast your mile splits are or if your heart rate is optimal. Run for the joy of it. Feel the earth beneath your feet, the breeze in your face, and listen to your breathing. Run with no set route, no set distance, and no set time goal. Run to run... pure, raw and unencumbered by gadgets. It just might be the best run you've ever had!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: