Tuesday, February 28, 2017

Christian McEvoy Ran Across America For A Great Cause

It has been well noted in news articles and statistics that in 2006 I became the 5th person in history to run ocean-to-ocean across America without a support vehicle/crew -- being completely solo, pushing all of my required gear, food and water in a stroller. However, there was another man who did a run across the USA in 2006, finishing 2 months after I did. His name is Christian McEvoy.

In 2006, Christian was a 23-year-old Connecticut high school teacher. He completed his run across America on December 16th of that year using a support vehicle and crew. While my focus was to keep a promise I had made to some elementary students, Christian's focus was to raise money to benefit cancer survivors and patients.

Christian ran from San Francisco, California to Narragansett, Rhode Island and became the 25th crew-supported journey runner to cross America on foot. Several years later, he was asked what his thoughts were focused on as he pounded out the miles across the country. He said, "Mostly, I spoke to God and asked for strength, courage and endurance to complete the task." I did the same!

I ran 3,260 miles across America in 108 days on the road, while Christian covered 3,400 miles in 169 days. I averaged 30 miles per day while he averaged 20 miles per day. I was 18 years older than Christian when we did our separate runs across the United States and although we were both on America's roadways at the same time, we didn't actually communicate with each other.

Aside from Christian McEvoy and I, in 2006 there were six other attempts by people to walk or run across America. However, Christian and I were the only ones to successfully complete crossings that year. Today, "Dr. McEvoy" is a General Surgery Resident with the U.S. Navy.

As he was running across Iowa, Christian was quoted in a local newspaper: "A run across the United States is... a little bit of madness and a little bit of craziness." That it is, Christian. That it is!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: