Wednesday, February 28, 2018

1 in 5 American Children and 1 in 3 American Adults Are OBESE!

Between 2006 and 2011 I ran thousands of miles across states and countries to promote health and fitness -- trying to make an impact on a growing amount of inactivity in people and a growing amount of waistlines. Unfortunately, the tide of obesity is simply not changing.

When I ran across America in 2006, 15 percent of American children were obese, and 35 percent of American adults were obese. When I ran across Montana in 2008, 17 percent of kids were obese, and 34 percent of adults were obese. When I ran across Alaska in 2009, 17 percent of youth were obese, and 36 percent of adults were obese. When I ran across Germany in 2010, 17 percent of children were obese, and 35 percent of adults were obese. When I ran across the Mojave Desert in 2011, 17 percent of kids were obese, and 35 percent of adults were obese. Today in the United States, about 20 percent of young people (ages 2-19) are obese, and nearly 40% of adults are obese.

It would be very easy for me to read the ever-increasing numbers of obesity in both American children and adults and feel as though my thousands of miles of running to promote health and fitness were worthless. However, I have to believe that I made a positive impact on at least one person through my efforts of reaching for all of those mileposts. I know that all of those miles had a profound impact on me!

Obesity can contribute to Type 2 diabetes, stroke, heart disease and other health problems. It’s currently estimated that U.S. healthcare costs related to obesity-related medical illnesses and conditions are somewhere between $147 to $210 billion a year.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: