Tuesday, February 6, 2018

C'mon Runners! Use Some Common Sense!

Early this morning, I was driving to work in north-central Indiana after a night of significant snowfall. I saw a runner in the driving lane endangering himself and being a hazard. I grew up running in Alaska and then ran for 32 years in western Montana where winter running was always a challenge. However, I never did anything so ridiculous as I saw this runner doing... nor would I ever! Sometimes I shake my head at the complete lack of common sense that some runners display.

I began running in 1975 at the age of ten and in the 40+ years of being a runner I've probably logged less than 200 miles on a treadmill. I prefer to be outside in the elements. As a winter runner you have to be courteous and lawful, and you should not make yourself a hazard to drivers. If there is no place to safely run on the sidewalk or shoulder of the road -- outside of the driving lane -- due to snow accumulation, then you shouldn't be out there. That's right... you shouldn't be out there! Instead, choose a different form of fitness activity for the day, or run on a treadmill.

There are certainly runners out there who think that they can run in the driving lanes, and some of those people are no longer runners... but are now paralyzed or dead. C'mon runners, use some common sense!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: