Tuesday, January 28, 2020

How Do You Pronounce The Name Staso? Like This -- 'Stay-so'

I'm nearly 55 years of age and all of my life I've had my last name pronounced wrong. Most pronounce Staso with a short 'A' sound (like 'StAH-so'). However, it is actually a long A sound. To pronounce it correctly, you would say 'Stay-so.' My wife and children deal with the same thing and I'm sure we're in a sea of people who have their name pronounced inaccurately.

When I was in high school, I got tired of hearing my name announced over the intercom at track meets as 'Stah-so' and actually started having my coach spell it 'Stayso' for the list submitted to the announcer's booth. As soon as I did that, it was pronounced correctly.

I know it shouldn't bother me, and I'm guessing that you're wondering why I might be bringing it up as a blog post. Well, I just got off the phone at my office and the client I was speaking to said several times "Mister Stah-so." Sure, I could go through my life correcting everyone who mispronounces my name, but that would also become frustrating and annoying. There are, however, rare moments when someone pronounces it correctly the first time they see it.

There are world leaders, celebrities, and other prominent figures who have their names inaccurately pronounced. It's just what happens as this ever-growing planet inches closer to eight billion people. I try to listen to the pronunciation of people's names so that I can say them correctly in the future. Yep, I make mistakes... but I also try to improve.

So, now you know that the name Staso is pronounced StAY-so. I know it won't make any difference in my daily life of hearing people say in inaccurately, but at least I've mentioned it on the mighty World Wide Web.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: