Wednesday, May 27, 2020

A Man Drove 100 Miles To Have His 3-Year-Old Daughter Meet Me

In 2008, I did a 620-mile, 20-day solo east-to-west run across Montana to promote youth health and fitness. While on a 40-mile day between the towns of Roundup and Ryegate, a vehicle pulled over. A man got out with his small daughter and approached me with a big smile. In my journal, I described the moment as follows: "This was a 40-mile day to Ryegate and along the way I received some very nice surprises of encouragement. First, Steve Kosnar and his little daughter, Eileen, drove up to Highway 12 from Billings to find me on the road. It was so encouraging to see Eileen holding a handmade sign reading "Go Paul!". I took a break off the road and talked with them for awhile."

I was nearing the half-way point in the run and was battling strong winds and hilly terrain. Mr. Kosnar (also a runner) and his daughter truly lifted my spirits during a particularly challenging section of road. I've had many special moments along the road's edge meeting people who simply stopped to give me a word of encouragement -- often hearing about me in television or newspaper reports, or online. I've always remembered little Eileen and her Dad. He literally drove 100 miles round trip from Billings, Montana to find me on Highway 12 so that his daughter could meet me. It meant more to me than they know.

After we said our goodbyes, I continued to run down the road... pushing a 65-pound jogging stroller filled with gear, food and water. Once the adventure was over, I read this note in my website's guestbook -- written by Mr. Kosnar:
"I feel like today we are finding, more and more, that people and their accomplishments aren’t quite what they seem. And I must admit that when I took my 3-year-old daughter to watch and meet you on a remote section of Highway 12 between Roundup and Ryegate, I didn’t quite know what to expect. Watching you run directly into a pounding wind, over miles of tough, hilly road, what I found was an authentic inspiration. Someone that I feel fortunate to have met and that my daughter can truly look up to."
Thank you for encouraging me that day, Steve and Eileen! Your efforts, words and handmade sign contributed to the success of that undertaking.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: