Thursday, May 28, 2020

An Extremely Close Encounter With a Rattlesnake Got Me Running

I never saw it, but I heard it.

It was early in July, 2006, when I was running along the Columbia River, which is a natural border between the states of Washington and Oregon. At the time, I was on my solo west-to-east run across America and the Columbia River Gorge had many snakes. In my journal I wrote, "The Gorge has certainly been an experience... sort of like running on the moon. No trees, endless rock, lots of rattlesnakes, 118 degree pavement, and no drinking water or services." It was on a hot July day when I would come the closest I ever have to a rattlesnake ready to strike.

A rattlesnake strike against a human is strictly defensive. When a rattlesnake detects a potential hazard, it quickly moves into a defensive coil -- its most effective strike position -- and the sound of its rattle can be heard. It can extend up to three feet to strike. The rattlesnake's fangs carry venom from glands and inject poison into the victim. It has been estimated that about 7,000 people per year receive venomous snake bites in the United States. Most fatal bites are attributed to the eastern diamondback rattlesnake and the western diamondback rattlesnake. The Western Rattlesnake can be found along the Columbia River, where I was running that particular day.

I was running through a 30-mile day in 105-degree heat under a scorching sun when I stopped for a moment to retie one of my shoes and to drink some water. I stopped the support stroller and knelt down on the side of the road near a bush to tie my shoe. That's when I heard it... the instant sound of a rattle literally one to two feet from my legs. The rattlesnake was inside the bush next to where I was kneeling. I froze in place as the rattle sound continued. I slowly moved to the side of the stroller to place it between the rattlesnake and myself. Then, I gripped the handlebar of the stroller and ran like crazy!

I had only been on the road for a couple of weeks at that point and was still learning what to do and not do. I learned a valuable lesson and didn't stop again next to a bush. Snakes were common as I ran across Washington, Montana and the Dakotas. However, that particular day along the Columbia River I could have easily become a victim to a vicious rattlesnake. Last year, a man running across the United States was bitten by a rattlesnake and had to be airlifted to a hospital. It took several weeks of rehabilitation before he could resume his journey.

On all of the solo journey runs I did, I always carried a snake bite kit (and never had to use it). In an ideal venomous snakebite situation, the victim should sit down and rest, keeping the wound below heart level, while an ambulance is called. The definitive treatment for snake venom poisoning is the administration of antivenin. However, when you're in a situation that isn't "ideal," a snake bite kit is something good to have on hand. It's important to note that if you are bitten by a snake you should not make any incisions in the skin or apply suction with your mouth. Also, do not apply ice or a tourniquet.

I'll never forget the incredibly close sound of the rattlesnake in that bush. As I mentioned, I never saw it... but the sound made a lasting impression on me.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: