Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Over 50: Fit as a Fiddle, or Fit as Fiddle Faddle?

Eleven years ago I was talking to a friend, who was a surgeon, and he was around 12 years older than I. At the time he was in his early 50's and I was 40 years of age... training for my 2006 solo run across America. I sat in his office and couldn't help but to notice pictures he had of himself hanging on the walls. Approximately 25 years earlier he had been a weightlifting enthusiast, getting to the level of competing in some regional competitions. The framed pictures he had were of himself in competition, flexing his muscles and looking much different than the slightly hunched over man sitting across the desk from me.

He had put on weight and blamed his participation in a recreational hockey league in his 30's and early 40's as why he has orthopedic issues. He pointed to one of the pictures and said: "That's the former me. Enjoy your fitness level now, Paul, because after you turn 50 it all goes downhill." I was looking at a doctor who had conceded to being "old" (as he put it) and believed that once the calendar turned to his 50th birthday his fitness was destined to dramatically decline. Sadly, I believe there are too many people who think that way.

I'll be 52 years old next spring and just had a complete physical exam. I'm pleased to say that from a physical standpoint, I am several years younger than my numeric age. My cholesterol levels are right where they should be, my triglycerides are right on target, my blood pressure is low, my weight is at a healthy level, and I don't need any medications. The doctor who performed my annual exam told me that he wished all 50+ year old guys that walked into his office were as fit as I am.

There are those who give in to age and those who view age as nothing more than a number. I don't think about my age. I go about life with a perspective that it is to be lived, and I'm living it with all of my heart.

I was in a grocery store a couple of weeks ago and an elderly woman behind me was purchasing a birthday cake for her husband. On the top of the cake was written the words "Happy 78th Birthday Paul." I smiled at her and told her that my name is Paul too, and she said that the cake was for her husband's birthday. I replied, "Maybe I'll have a cake like that in 27 years!" She looked a little puzzled, as did the woman at the cash register. The woman purchasing the cake asked, "You're 51?" I nodded and she said that I didn't look anywhere near that age. The cashier said that she would have guessed I was 36. So, I guess I'm doing pretty good at this point. I have no orthopedic issues, no white hairs, no physical limitations, no medications, and I'm enjoying life with my beautiful loving partner Kelley.

Life is to be lived... to be pursued. Those who believe that turning 50 means having to give in to a number or give up on certain activities are incredibly wrong. There are countless elderly people who have proven that life can be just as abundant in experiences at 50+ as it was before reaching the five decade mark. Everyone over 50 years of age needs to make a decision. You're either going to be as fit as a fiddle, or fit as Fiddle Faddle. The choice is yours.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: