Tuesday, April 10, 2018

Going on an Adventure? Consider Taking SPOT Along!

In 2009, I purchased my first SPOT Satellite Tracker -- a device that allows people to view your location through an online map and which also allows for emergency notification in the event that help is needed. The SPOT was created in 2007, so I wasn't able to have this technology for my 2006 solo run across America. I did use the SPOT in 2009 during my 500-mile run through Alaska, but found that it didn't update my location as frequently as I would have liked. The same can be said for my run across Germany in 2010. It performed the best during my solo run across the Mojave Desert in 2011. In the photo accompanying this post is a picture of my aging SPOT tracker along with a recent advertisement for the device. Over the years, enhancements have certainly been made!

The SPOT Gen3 gives you a critical, life-saving line of communication when you travel beyond the boundaries of cell service. It lets family and friends know that you're okay, or if the worst should happen it sends emergency responders your GPS location -- all with the push of a button. It's rugged, pocket-sized, and essential for adventures that take you off the beaten path!

 As I mentioned, by using the device you can provide people with a link to track your progress online, with updates of location happening as frequently as every 2½ minutes. I had mine set to update my location every 10 minutes. A vibration sensor tells SPOT to send your GPS location when you are moving and to stop when you do. This conserves battery power and avoids sending duplicate tracks. SPOT Gen3 will send track messages until you turn off your SPOT.

It's peace of mind when emergencies arise. With the push of a button, the GEOS International Emergency Response Coordination Center provides your GPS coordinates and information to local response teams. Have a situation that's not an "emergency?" You can alert your pre-programmed personal contacts that you need help in non-life-threatening situations.

SPOT works around the world, including virtually all of the continental United States, Canada, Mexico, Europe, Australia, portions of South America, portions of North and South Africa, North-East Asia and hundreds of miles offshore of these areas. In Russia, the GPS accuracy of your SPOT is limited (degraded) in accordance with Russian regulations restricting the accuracy of GPS performance for devices utilized in Russia.

The cost of SPOT is around $170. However, I believe it is money well spent for the features provided. The makers of SPOT have already recorded over 5,000 rescues of people using the SPOT tracker!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: