Thursday, June 27, 2019

No Compression Depression: Life Adjustments of a Former Ultrarunner

If you read my last blog post ("Compression Socks -- A Permanent Part of My Wardrobe") you know that as a guy in my mid-50's I'm now using compression sleeves/socks on a daily basis. One of the earliest studies conducted on the benefit of compression socks for runners was done in 2007 at Massey University in New Zealand -- a year following my run across America. Other important research was conducted in 2009 by Wolfgang Kemmler in Germany with respect to compression gear and endurance athletes, and a 2014 study from Brian Rider with the School of Health Science, Oakland University, on the effect of compression socks with cross-country runners. In the past 12 years, a lot has been learned about the benefits of compression gear for long-distance runners and as a result there are more and more endurance athletes wearing compression socks and sleeves. For instance, compression sleeves/socks have been shown to increase blood flow up to 40 percent during activity, and 30% during recovery. That's significant! Unfortunately, all of the research was conducted when I was at the end of my extreme ultra-running lifestyle, so I wasn't able to benefit from using compression in training and recovery -- not to mention the thousands of miles I ran on pavement across states and countries.

In my last blog writing, I mentioned that for the past few years I've been dealing with some circulation issues in the lower part of my right leg (the area of my body that actually experienced the most trauma during my extreme ultra-running pursuits). I have a couple of varicose veins just below my right knee, which typically occur due to weakened valves or increased blood pressure in the veins. Athletes who are most vulnerable to varicose veins focus on sports that rely on the legs to support additional weight over extended periods of time. In my case, I pushed a 70+ pound jogging stroller of gear for thousands of miles across states and countries while maintaining a 30-mile-per-day average. Repetitive motion activities (like running) increase the amount of stress in the legs and veins. Studies show that certain sports can increase your risk of varicose veins, including:
  • Running – Prolonged periods of time upright can cause blood to pool in the lower legs.
  • Weightlifting – Excessive straining can damage or worsen already damaged vein valves.
  • Cycling – Prolonged periods of time sitting can cause blood to pool in the lower legs.
  • Tennis – Short impacts on the legs can damage your vein valves.
  • Skiing – Increased intra-abdominal pressure can damage vein valves.
  • Football – Extreme physical contact can easily damage vein valves or break existing varicose veins.
Varicose veins are a very common problem. According to the American Society of Vascular Surgery, about 33 percent of women and 17 percent of men will develop the condition during their lifetime. So, I've been using compression sleeves for my lower legs over the past couple of years (while I'm at the office), and now I'll be choosing to wear compression socks and/or sleeves during other outdoor times. Essentially, compression socks squeeze the lower leg (more compression is applied at the ankle and it decreases mid-calf). The socks reduce the amount of blood in the veins at any given time and they also enhance circulation. They're great for people at risk of developing varicose veins -- and I don't want anymore of those!

High quality compression socks feature therapeutic graduated compression. This is the only option for enhancing circulation in the legs. Graduated compression is providing a constant amount of pressure to your circulatory system to fight gravity and pump blood back to your heart. Traditional compression socks are available in four different levels of compression. You’ll find them measured in millimeters of mercury (mmHg), which indicates the amount of pressure the sock/sleeve will apply to your leg. The higher the measurement, the more pressure.
  • Under 15 mmHg: This is considered mild or light compression, and is typically recommended for healthy people who are tired from standing or sitting all day -- such as pregnant women, waitresses, and medical professionals.
  • 15 to 20 mmHg: This is considered moderate compression, and can help prevent deep vein thrombosis or prevent leg swelling for those traveling by airplane.
  • 20 to 30 mmHg: This third tier is sometimes referred to as "medical-grade" compression, and can be used to help prevent and treat varicose veins, edema, and blood clots.
  • 30+ mmHg: Compression that measures 30 mmHg or above is often seen in post-surgical situations.
I must say, for the past 40 years my right leg has taken a beating. Not only has it been the leg on the highest crown of the road's shoulder for tens of thousands of miles as I've run long distances facing traffic on pavement, but between 1977 and 1984 I was an intermediate and high hurdler -- in junior high, high school and college -- who lead with his right leg. It constantly got the brunt of my full weight coming off of the hurdles.

No, I'm not experiencing compression depression. It's just a fact of life for the type of extreme ultra-running lifestyle that I've lead. Life is a series of adjustments and this is simply one that I'll have to make.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: