Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Ready to Begin Teaching Junior High Faith Formation Class on Sundays

It has been many years since I was a Sunday school teacher, and I can say that I've missed it. My wife and I were recently asked to teach the junior high Sunday school (Faith Formation) class at the Catholic church we attend. We couldn't say "yes" fast enough. What a joy it is to teach young people about God's Word, His church, and the many blessings that come from walking closely with Him.

You're probably wondering about the cartoon graphic that accompanies today's writing -- "Law of Gravity Strictly Enforced!" Well, it is just one image that I'll be using this month while teaching the junior high. I believe that Sunday school should be engaging, educational and inspirational, while at the same time challenging young people to think. I have a variety of means and methods that I implement to try and achieve those things in the 75 minutes I have with them -- some funny, some serious, some contemplative, some expressive -- all with the aim of increasing their understanding of the Bible, Church and Christianity while strengthening their faith.

The ultimate goal is for young people to grow deeper in their relationship with God and our church community through reading the scriptures, learning about the liturgical year, and building a faith-filled community.

The time my wife and I spend with the youth on Sunday is actually called "Faith Formation." Of course, education is a critical part of forming the faith of all disciples. To have our faith and life formed by God's love in Christ, we need to know about the story of God, what it means that God loves us, and how God wants us to act in our daily lives. However, Faith Formation goes far beyond the classroom. Faith is formed through any action, experience, or relationship. Education is only one part of that.

Faith (or trust, belief) is not an object or an abstract idea, but rather a relationship. Christian faith is primarily a transformative relationship of trust between ourselves and God (through Christ, by the activity of the Holy Spirit). True faith is a gift from God and transforms our lives completely. The "formation" of the Faith Formation classes takes into account the shaping (the forming) of one's faith -- deepening that faith and ultimately changing lives.

Earlier this year, I wrote in this blog about my spiritual journey. I am a 55-year-old Catholic man who holds a Bachelor's degree in religion; has taught and coached in a K-12 Christian school; has been a Sunday school teacher; and, has assisted in leading church worship with guitar playing. This year marks 50 years that I've been attending Church -- my first experience being in 1970 at the age of five. I'm looking forward to this next step on my spiritual journey and helping junior high youth learn more about God, His Church, and how they can have a stronger faith.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: