Friday, August 28, 2020

Taking The Road Less Traveled Can Be The Best Route

I drive 30 miles round trip when I go to the office each weekday. I could take a highway the entire distance, but instead I opt to take a country road along the Wabash River in north-central Indiana for a portion of the drive. The posted maximum speed is 45 miles per hour, but I usually travel it around 35 to 38 mph due to the frequency of deer sightings along the edge of the roadway. Most of the traffic heading to the town that I work in is on the highway, but I enjoy driving along the river... next to the cornfields... and passing beautiful sights like the one shown in this photo (which I captured one day this summer when driving home).

Four years ago, in this blog, I posted a writing titled Taking The Road Less Traveled -- Does It Make All The Difference? In that blog post I stated that the road less traveled typically brings us more experience, and more experience enables us to live more. I've experienced that several times in my life and encourage others to take the road less traveled and to see what it has to offer.

When I ran 500 miles solo across the Mojave Desert in 2011 at the age of 46, I had an opportunity to run on a portion of old Route 66 -- much of which is practically abandoned these days. I passed through Ash Fork, Arizona and saw many old, closed-down businesses. It's obvious that the placement of Interstate 40 significantly hurt the small towns along Route 66. If you've ever seen the Disney animated movie "Cars" you know what I’m talking about. So many people driving on Interstate 40 just fly by these little old towns without giving them as much as a glance. However, there is real history behind these tiny locations. Yes, sometimes the road less traveled can give us some wonderful experiences, some increased knowledge, and some memories to last a lifetime.

I'm writing this during my lunch hour at the law firm where I work. In a matter of hours I'll be driving home, passing the very barn location that is shown in the photo accompanying this writing. I'll be driving past corn fields reaching over my head, along a river with fishermen scattered here and there, and past barns, cows, and country mailboxes. No semi trucks, no passing cars, and no stress. Just a peaceful drive on the road less traveled. That's not a bad way to start and end a work day.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: