Tuesday, March 21, 2017

OH FOR GOODNESS' SAKE! FORREST GUMP IS FICTION!!

It has been 10 years since I ran across America solo in 108 days on the road. My first attempt was in 1986 at the age of 21, but which ended in injury. In 1994, the movie "Forrest Gump" was released and for the past 23 years people have equated running across America with Forrest Gump because the fictional character did it on movie screens worldwide.

When I made my first across-America run attempt in 1986, hardly anyone had ever heard about running across America -- likely because not many people had actually accomplished the endeavor. Of course, the Internet didn't exist then and there were no movies in existence of anyone running across the country. Well, today more and more people are attempting to run across America to be just like Forrest Gump. Here are some fairly recent news headlines:
  • Englishman runs across America just like Forrest Gump
  • Real-life Forrest Gump finishes run across America
  • Inspired by 'Forrest Gump,' man begins charity run across America
For goodness sake... "inspired" by Forrest Gump? If you've never seen the movie, it is one of the most far-fetched cinematic scripts to ever be played on movie screens. Sure, it was the first film to introduce people to the thought of running coast-to-coast across America. However, several people had actually accomplished the task BEFORE the fictitious character of Forrest Gump. In fact, THOSE people are "inspiring" and are the ones that should be learned about by anyone interested in running across the country.

Yes, there are actually people who have accomplished many things you see in movies BEFORE the movies were actually made. Look beyond movies. Look into the history of something that may spark intrigue or inspiration in you. Be a student of the past and don't just try to mimic scenes created by cinematographers. Be innovative, not imitative!

In the movie Forrest Gump, he says, "I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on going. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on going. When I got tired, I slept. When I got hungry, I ate. When I had to go... you know... I went."

Forrest sure makes it sound easy to run solo across America, and all of the coast-to-coast running scenes in that movie make it look like a jog in the park. Well, I guarantee... it's nowhere near as easy as the fictitious character "Forrest" makes it look. Speaking from 3,260 miles of experience between the Oregon coast and the Delaware shore I can tell you... it's actually incredibly demanding physically, mentally and emotionally. Many "Forrest" wannabees have found out the hard way what it's really like to try and cross the country all alone on foot... many pondering that realization as they sit on a bus, train or airplane to head back home with aching feet and legs without having conquered even 5 percent of the country.

Just remember, Forrest Gump is a fictional story and if you truly want to learn about running across the country, do a Google query of those who have actually done it. I believe you'll be genuinely inspired!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: