Monday, August 22, 2016

Is Forrest Gump's 19,024-mile Run Possible?

I can't begin to tell you how many people have yelled at me "Run Forrest Run!" as I've run across states and countries!

In 2013, an article was published online which caught my eye -- "Could Forrest Gump have possibly survived his epic run?" Of course, the author is referring to the fictional character that actor Tom Hanks portrayed in the 1994 movie Forrest Gump.

Forrest's epic run was a 19,024-mile run across America that he started in 1979 and repeatedly did for over 3 years. Having run solo across America myself, I find the cross country scenes in the movie enjoyable... although a bit impractical since Forrest runs alone and has no supplies with him. I pushed a stroller containing gear, food and water. However, Forrest manages to get by with just the clothes on his back. If you haven't seen the movie, or need a refresher, watch the short video below:



So, Forrest says that he just felt like running. I can relate with that! However, let's take a look at what the 35-year-old fictional character accomplished in the movie. He says that he ran for 3 years, 2 months, 14 days, 16 hours -- which is 1,169 days. Based on the map and pacing of his first two years worth of crossings that is shown on a television news report in the movie, he would have run 19,024 miles in the 1,169 days he was on the road. Yes... there have actually been people who have plotted his 3+ year route in Google maps to confirm that it was around 19,000 miles! That means that Forrest would have averaged 16 miles per day as he ran back and forth across America for more than 3 years. I averaged 30 miles per day for my coast-to-coast run (108 days). There have been those who have run more daily miles than Forrest did as they've literally run around the world for several years. So, Forrest's run is not impossible, particularly at 16 miles per day.

I believe that given enough time and resources, anyone can go coast to coast across America on foot. Historically, more people have summited Mount Everest than have actually run across the United States. I must say, I do see some similarities between Forrest's run and my own of ten years ago. For instance, he wasn't running to promote any cause, and neither was I. He ran because he just felt like running. I ran to keep a promise. Also, neither Forrest nor I got rich from our runs across America. In fact, he gained more media attention than I did!

There have been people who have set off to run across America in an effort to mimic the fictional character Forrest Gump. Many get out on the highway and realize the enormity of the task and quit. However, some actually finish and embrace their connection to the Forrest Gump character. Although I've had many people call me "Forrest Gump," the fact is that my name is Paul Staso and I ran across America for REAL... with my sole intent being to keep a promise I had made to a group of elementary children. Also, my first attempt to run across America happened 8 years before Forrest ever ran across movie screens. The movie continues to be aired frequently on television and I believe that the phrase "Run Forrest Run!" will never truly fade away.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: