Tuesday, February 12, 2019

Do We Look Up to The 'God' of Sitcoms and Movies?

Over the course of the past year, I've noticed something -- television shows which center on God, Heaven and Faith are becoming more prevalent. Most recently, shows like "God Friended Me," "Living Biblically" and "Miracle Workers" have been on the radar as I flip through channels with the remote control, yet I don't watch these programs. Of course, these shows are many years, and decades, after such TV hits as "Touched by an Angel" and "Highway to Heaven."

This trend has been seen in movies as well. Jim Carrey encounters 'God' in the 2003 movie "Bruce Almighty," as does Steve Carell in the 2007 movie "Evan Almighty." As a result, Morgan Freeman tends to be the movie actor that people most associate 'God' with due to his roles in both of those movies as 'God.' Also, Whoopi Goldberg appears as 'God' in the 2011 movie, "A Little Bit of Heaven." There are certainly other actors and actresses who have portrayed 'God' -- either in person or voice.

I was baptized in the Baptist Church in 1977 at the age of twelve. That was the same year that actor and entertainer, George Burns, would release a movie along with a popular country/folk singer who was giving the acting business a try... John Denver. The movie is titled "Oh God!" and is the story of Jerry Landers (John Denver), an assistant manager in a supermarket who receives a visit from God (George Burns) -- who appears in the form of an old man. Reluctant at first, Jerry agrees to spread the word about his visits from the Creator. However, Jerry's wife, Bobbie (Teri Garr), is skeptical, and theologians think Jerry's God is a fake. As Jerry continues to receive visits from God, religious authorities take action and demand that he prove his story. You can see portions of the "Oh God!" movie on YouTube.

In 1977, John Denver was at his height of popularity as a country singer, having released ten albums with such songs as "Thank God I'm A Country Boy," "Annie's Song," and "Rocky Mountain High." He was 34 years of age and teamed up with 79-year-old George Burns to make the "Oh God!" movie. With all of the God, Heaven and Faith-related movies and television shows that seem to be multiplying in our world, I wanted to share with you the simple words of a cherished actor who entertained audiences for most of his 100 years. George Burns said these words while acting as 'God' in the 1977 "Oh God!" movie:
"Why is it so hard for you to believe? Is my physical existence any more improbable than your own? What about all that hoo-ha with the devil awhile ago from that movie? Nobody had any problem believing that the devil took over and existed in a little girl. All she had to do was wet the rug, throw up some pea soup and everybody believed. The devil you could believe, but not God? I work in my own way. Also I'm not about to go around to every person in the world and say, 'Look it's me, I wanna talk to you.' So I picked one man. One very good man. I told him God lives. I live. He had trouble believing too, in the beginning. I understood. I'm not sure how this whole miracle business started, the idea that anything connected with me has to be a miracle. Personally I'm sorry that it did. Makes the distance between us even greater. I know how hard it is in these times to have faith. But maybe if you could have the faith to start with, maybe the times would change. You could change them. Think about it. Try. And try not to hurt each other. There's been enough of that. It really gets in the way. However hopeless, helpless, mixed up and scary it all gets, it can work. If you find it hard to believe in me, maybe it would help you to know that I believe in you. The divine truth is not in a building or a book or a story. The heart is the temple where all truth resides. You know, Voltaire may have had me pegged right. He said I was a comedian playing to an audience who was afraid to laugh. You can love each other, cherish and nurture each other or you can kill each other. Incidentally, "kill" is the word. It's not "waste." If I meant "waste" I would have written "thou shalt not waste." You're doing some very funny things with words, here. You're also turning the sky into mud. I look down, I can't believe the filth. Using the rivers for toilets, poisoning my fishes. You want a miracle? You make a fish from scratch. You can't... and when the last one is gone, that'll be that. Eighty-six on the fishes, goodbye sky, so long world, over and out."
In 1996, George Burns died at the age of 100. Before his death, he stated the following in an interview: "I'm not what you call a religious man. I don't believe in the hereafter. If I don't make them laugh here, I'm not going to make them laugh anywhere else. I don't think there is an audience where I'm going, but I'll take along my music just in case."

Want to get to know the REAL God of the Universe? Open a Bible and meet Him.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: