Wednesday, February 27, 2019

The Montana Business I Operated For 16 Years (1998-2014)

Back in June 2016, I wrote in this blog that running is not my job. With all of the running I've done in the past across states and countries, there have been those who have believed that I just run around and somehow make a living at that. Well, that's not how it is. After obtaining my two B.A. degrees, I began teaching 5th grade in an elementary school. Then, in the early 1990's, I began working in a law firm. I still work in law, focusing on insurance defense and securities litigation. Just recently, I wrote about working my job from the side of the road as I ran across America in 2006. I was recently asked what that job was. For 16 years I owned and operated a website development and online marketing business called OnTrack Designs.

You see, in the mid-1990's I could tell that the Internet (which had been around for a couple of years) was not going to fade away. While I was working in law I began learning website coding (HTML, JavaScript, etc.) with an eye toward possibly starting my own business. After learning what I needed to, I took the plunge in 1998 and created OnTrack Designs. I worked the business as a second job for several years (which was beneficial since I had four children), and then it became my full-time job from 2003 through 2014. It was during that time when I did my running adventures across states and countries.

Since I owned the business, I had subcontractors that I used to work on projects. While I was on running adventures, my business kept operating. Essentially, OnTrack Designs developed websites for law firms, banks, physicians, realtors, insurance companies, accountants, and other commercial businesses -- including e-commerce websites for online product sales. I would contract companies to utilize the services offered through OnTrack Designs, which included website development; search engine optimization; online marketing; website hosting; photo/video presentations; social media services; e-commerce platforms; online payment systems; and more.

In 2014, I decided to close the business and return to law work full time, which is what I now do to make a living. It was a wonderful experience owning my business for 16 years and gave me the opportunity to be flexible with my time in order to attend my four children's school and sporting events, as well as promote youth health and fitness globally through my running endeavors.



The days of needing a "website developer" are quickly fading. Today, there are tons of options for creating your own website, many of which are free. However, when I launched my business back in 1998, you could only get a website from someone who knew how to create the behind-the-scenes code needed to make the text, images and functionality work. I taught myself the needed coding and created a successful 16-year business from that knowledge.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: