Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Consider a Family Photo Night... Sharing Past Moments and Stories

Those of you who experienced the 1970's as a part of your childhood (or even as an adult!) are probably familiar with the item shown in this photo. It's a Kodak carousel slide projector, which had removable slide wheels that you could replace with another wheel full of slides. Images would be projected onto a portable screen. My six siblings and I would always know when it was "family slide night" when we would see the slide projector and screen set up in the living room along with boxes of slide carousels stacked nearby. We would get into our pajamas, make some popcorn, and enjoy all of the slide pictures that my parents had captured over the years.

As many of us are "sheltering in place" due to the Coronavirus, I was recently recalling those days from the 1970's when my family would settle in to go through the slides and retell stories of road trips, activities and special occasions. I always enjoyed those evenings! Over the years, my parents have converted all of their slides into digital images, and provided each of their children with DVD's of those photos. I truly cherish the images... and the memories. Today, many of those photos are 60 years old or more and truly capture the experiences of a young couple raising seven children.

In 1965 -- the year I was born -- the first carousel slide projector was patented and sold to Eastman Kodak by its inventor, David E. Hansen. Before computers, slideshows using carousel projectors were a revolutionary idea. Of course, today images are in digital format and most view their photos on a smartphone, computer, tablet or television. In my opinion, there's nothing quite like the hum of the projector fan and the clicking sound with each advancement to a new slide on the carousel. It brings back some good memories from growing up.

Sometimes, I miss the old days... the simpler days -- before smartphones, computers, the Internet, and all of the rest that was invented which ultimately keeps us busy and/or distracted. Regardless of what you have for viewing pictures from days gone by, consider a family night to look through photos and share stories. You'll create a memory for the future by looking back at the past.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: