Monday, April 13, 2020

In 2008, I Underwent a Surgery That Very Few People Ever Knew About

On May 19, 2008 I completed a 620-mile solo run across Montana in 20 days at the age of 43. That run began about 18 months after I finished my solo run across America. What most people don't know is that just four weeks before beginning the Montana run in 2008, I underwent surgery. I kept that information very private and even my physician was a bit concerned about my choosing to push a 70-pound jogging stroller of gear, food and water east-to-west across Montana by logging 24 marathons in 20 days so soon following surgery.

You see, over the course of several years my right forearm had developed a significant venous aneurysm. Even during my 2006 run across America the aneurysm had given me some difficulty and had enlarged. Since I primarily pushed the support stroller with my right arm, the aneurysm was becoming more problematic and painful. I reached a point in training for the Montana run where I needed surgical intervention to correct the issue. Four weeks following surgery, I began the border-to-border Montana run and my arm held up just fine. The photo accompanying this writing was taken the day I completed that run in 2008 and you can see where the incision was made to remove the aneurysm.

Venous aneurysms are rare, but pose a significant risk of pulmonary embolism and death if left untreated. In 2008, I was the father of four children (ages 8 to 14) and could not continue to venture out into desolate territory all alone without first undergoing the necessary surgery to correct the issue.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: