Friday, April 12, 2019

"Just Because You're Fit, Doesn't Necessarily Mean You're Healthy!"

Boston Marathon director Dave McGillivray sent me a note of encouragement in 2006 as I began my solo run across America. His words were very appreciated and I have always respected what he has accomplished as a runner for the past 50 years. Next Monday, Dave will run in his 47th consecutive Boston Marathon, but just six months ago he was in a hospital bed after having open-heart triple bypass surgery. In a recent interview he said, "Just because you're fit, doesn't necessarily mean you're healthy!"

Dave, age 64, has run about 150,000 miles in his life and even completed The World Marathon Challenge last year, which involved running 7 marathons in 7 days on 7 continents. Last autumn he experienced chest pain and shortness of breath while running and doctors found that he needed bypass surgery due to severe coronary artery disease. His words to others: "If you feel something, do something -- act on it, and you can get a second chance like I have."

Dave, good luck in the 2019 Boston Marathon!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: