Wednesday, May 29, 2019

"Like Sands Through The Hourglass, So Are The Days Of Our Lives"

On November 8, 1965 (just seven months after I was born), the still running daytime soap opera "Days of Our Lives" first aired on television. It is set in the fictional Midwestern town of Salem and follows the lives, loves, triumphs and tragedies of the Horton, Brady, Kiriakis, Hernandez and DiMera families. My mother and sisters watched this soap as I was growing up and one thing I remember is the opening words: "Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our lives." The hourglass is an effective symbol for the passing of time. We see the sands running through the glass without stopping, knowing that the end is increasingly near. Unlike the clock with its endless cycles, the hourglass has a definite limit and visually represents, quite effectively, the passing of time.

The other day, my 11-year-old stepdaughter told me that I don't act my age (54) -- but that I appear much younger due to not having gray hair, very few wrinkles, and because I dance, play and act goofy now and then. She said that I look and act like I'm in my 30's. Of course, that's what any father or stepfather wants to hear from a child! It did, however, get me thinking.

Those of you who have followed my life/blog for any amount of time know that I have four adult children (ages 19, 21, 24 and 26). My stepchildren are ages 11, 14, 21 and 22. Yep... that brings the child count to eight! Six of the eight are adults. In seven years, Kelley and I will be empty nesters. I'll be 61 years of age at that point. I read that 60 percent of empty nesters are 55 years of age or older.

There are countless articles available outlining all of the benefits to look forward to as an empty nester. I've never read one of them. Rather than "looking forward" to our home no longer having children, I am enjoying the remaining years I have left before that time comes -- and that time will be here too quickly. For now, I'm going to enjoy all of the bike rides I can with my remaining two stepchildren at home. Playing, laughing, and enjoying time together is what I'm focused on. The empty nest years, the retirement years, the future grandpa years are still a bit in the distance. Sure, I'll enjoy those years when they arrive, but I'm certainly not going to wish those years arrive sooner.

Esther Pauline Lederer -- who went by the pen name Ann Landers -- once wrote, “It is not what you do for your children, but what you have taught them to do for themselves, that will make them successful human beings.” I believe there is a lot of wisdom in those words. For now, I'm focused on supporting Kelley in her role as a mother... as well as being the best Dad/Stepdad that I can be. Many of our children are already successful adult human beings, and we're going for a 100 percent success rate in that!

The sands of the hourglass continue to fall and rather than focusing on the past or the future, I'm making the most of what's in the middle -- each individual falling grain (each day) that is a blessing beyond measure.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: