Friday, August 23, 2019

As The Old 1970's Sitcom Conveyed -- "Eight is Enough"

Since getting remarried last year, its been a bit surprising how many people have asked me if Kelley and I intend on having any children together.

Those of you who know our story are well aware that I am the father of four children from a previous marriage, and Kelley also has four children from a former marriage. Yep... that makes eight!

The photo accompanying today's writing was taken 8 months ago. It's of my four children -- who are all adults. From left to right are: Ashlin (age 24); Kyler (age 21); Jenna (age 26); and, Brian (age 19). We don't see each other near enough since between us we reside in three different states. However, they are always in my heart each day and I am constantly praying for them. Kelley has two adult children (ages 21 and 22) who have their own residences near us, and she also has two younger daughters, ages 11 and 14, who reside with us. So, six of our eight children are adults.

I'm 54 years of age and if there's one thing I know it's that posting the age of your wife in a blog is impolite. Therefore, I'll just say that Kelley is several years younger than I am. At this point in our lives, we don't intend on having more children. Of course, that's our plan... and God may have something else in mind (although we're in good communication with Him and we believe we're all on the same page!).

When I was a teenager, there was a popular television comedy-drama series that ran on ABC from 1977 until 1981 titled "Eight is Enough." The show centered on a Sacramento, California family with eight children. For those parents, eight was definitely enough. When it comes to Kelley's and my lives, we feel incredibly blessed by our children -- each of us having four children of our own as well as four step-children. I'll admit, I don't even think of the "step" portion of my "Step-Dad" title. I love Kelley's children as if they were my own, and I know that she feels the same about my children.

All of our children are excelling in their lives, and that makes Kelley and I very happy. It's wonderful to hear about their interests and pursuits, and we'll always be cheering them on. Our adult children are making decisions regarding jobs, advanced education, relocation, and more. They are blazing their paths in this world and we truly enjoy watching them handle whatever comes their way. It's important to Kelley and I that our children always know that they can call us if they ever need an ear to listen or a shoulder to lean on. We can't always solve every issue, and we'll never tell them what to do. However, as parents we want to see them succeed and we want them to be happy in life. If we can provide a bit of insight and/or wisdom based on our own life experiences, then we're glad to do that.

Being a parent is a constant joy. For us, perhaps it's not that eight is enough, but that eight is perfect!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: