Tuesday, February 25, 2020

I Have a Child I've Never Met Who Has Been in Heaven For 30 Years

This year marks 30 years since I lost my first child.

I was three years into a marriage at the age of 25. I recall being very excited about the three-month ultrasound appointment. On the screen, I could see the very tiny baby. However, the doctor would say words that no new parent wants to hear: "I'm sorry, I don't hear a heartbeat." I was in shock. Literally, within minutes, my emotions went from extremely excited to see an ultrasound of my first child, to absolute heartbreak upon learning that the tiny baby shown on the screen was no longer alive.

Miscarriage is defined as the spontaneous loss of a pregnancy before the 20th week. About 10 to 20 percent of known pregnancies end in miscarriage. However, the actual number is likely higher because many miscarriages occur so early in pregnancy that a woman doesn't realize she's pregnant.

When the miscarriage occurred, I was completing my Bachelor of Arts degree in Religion. I remember praying to God for strength and understanding. It was a very emotional time in life and one that I will never forget. We see throughout the Bible God’s care and grace for infants and children. This extends to the unborn, who are created in the image of God. As a Christian, I hold strongly to the belief that one day I will meet my first child in heaven. Until that time, I rest on Ecclesiastes 11:5 -- "Just as you do not know how the life breath enters the human frame in the mother’s womb, so you do not know the work of God, who is working in everything."

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: