Thursday, February 20, 2020

If You See Solar Panels on Amish Buggies, I May Have Started That!

When I was running solo across America in 2006, I had a solar panel on my jogging stroller to charge my electronics (the stroller carried my clothes, food and gear). While running through northern Iowa, I was stopped by an Amish gentleman who was on the side of the road with his horse and buggy.

He asked some of the usual questions... such as where I started the run, how far I run each day, and where I stay in the evenings. Then, he began to closely inspect the stroller. He asked me what the odd object was that was draped over the top of it, and I explained that it was a solar panel which allowed me to charge my phone, GPS, and other electronics using the sun's power -- essentially converting sunlight into energy. He was quite amazed by it and then asked me a surprising question -- "Do you think I could get one of those for my buggy?" I was quite puzzled as to why he would ask me that.

There are many restrictions on technology that are more or less universal among the Old Order Amish, such as the ban on cars as well as the ban on radio, television and in most cases the use of the internet. Telephones, especially in the home, have been banned by most Amish communities for over 100 years. Reasons for the ban likely include the fact that telephones represent a direct line to the world, offer too much convenience, and promote gossip. However, many Amish now use cellular phones for pleasure as well as business.

What surprised me by the Amish gentleman's request was the fact that he asked me about installing a solar panel on his buggy in the year 2006 -- when cell phones had not yet proliferated throughout America to the degree of today. Of course, I wasn't exactly sure what he planned to charge using a solar panel, but if he was thinking that he could possibly charge the lights on his buggy then it would be a rather practical use -- assuming that they were powered by a rechargeable battery.

The Amish gentleman took some rough measurements and wrote down the name of the manufacturer of the solar panel I was using. He told me that he thought he could secure it to the top of his buggy. We parted ways and as I ran down the road I thought that perhaps one day I'd see Amish buggies rolling down the road with solar panels on top. I must admit, I haven't seen that yet... but I keep my eyes out for it!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: