Tuesday, February 18, 2020

Becoming Catholic -- The Journey Continues...

As many of you may know from a blog post I made in October 2019, for the past five months I have been in the process of becoming Catholic after having become a Baptist in May 1977 at age twelve. In September 2019, I started the process of Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults (RCIA). It is a weekly class that I attend through the Catholic Church where I learn the teachings of the church in a more formal way, can ask questions to gain deeper understanding, and discern that I am ready to commit to living according to the Catholic Church's beliefs. Now, I am only seven weeks away from entering the Catholic Church through a profession of faith and reception of Confirmation and the Eucharist. Yes, I am excited, blessed and thankful.

I will not be baptized in the Catholic church since I was already baptized in the Baptist church at 12 years of age. One baptism is all that is needed.

My wife has been a Catholic all of her life (a "cradle Catholic") and we were married in the Catholic Church. Some have asked if I'm becoming Catholic only because my wife is Catholic. I can honestly answer no to that. I would never profess a certain faith simply because someone else does, even my spouse. Kelley married a Baptist man and accepted me for the man I am -- including being Baptist. I certainly did not have to convert to Catholicism. It is a choice... a deep, personal, spiritual choice that I have pondered for a rather long time.

I must say, after experiencing such a wonderful courtship with Kelley; a very blessed two years of engagement; exchanging marriage vows that filled our eyes with tears of joy; and, living our lives side by side as husband and wife... I often think that I could not possibly feel closer to Kelley. Yet, I know that when I become Catholic in April we will enter into an even closer bond because we will truly share the same religious conviction and practice, making our marriage partnership even more complete.

I have been blessed beyond measure during the past 5 months of the RCIA process and have learned an abundant amount about the Catholic Church that I never knew and/or understood before. It has been enlightening, inspiring and uplifting. The upcoming Easter season will definitely be one that will impact my life in a positive and profound way. I am so grateful to all who have been supportive and encouraging to me as I've made this journey.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),
Paul J. Staso

-- Pictures and Videos on Instagram: Run_Bike_Cross
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: