Monday, April 24, 2017

Lightning Strikes at an Indiana Junior High Track Meet!

This past Saturday I was at a junior high track meet near Wabash, Indiana. The temperature was in the 40's with clouds and a brisk wind -- not ideal conditions. I've watched school track meets for 40 years and on some occasions have seen incredible performances. Saturday was a day when lightning struck... not from the sky, but during the 8th grade boys' mile.

The Southwood Junior High Track Invitational meet record for the mile was set in 2016 by Zack Reed. He ran a 5:08 mile as a 7th grader. Zack was back on the track this year as an 8th grader and took off quickly at the sound of the gun. All too often I've seen people decide it's a good opportunity during the mile and two-mile races to go to the concession stand or the bathroom. The 8th grade mile race on Saturday was not one to miss.

Zack blazed around the track, despite the cool and windy conditions, and crossed the line in a blistering time of 4 minutes, 52 seconds. When his time was announced over the loud speaker, there was only a handful of spectators that clapped. The boy had just set a new meet record, surpassing his record from the year before by 16 seconds! What the spectators also didn't understand is that they had just witnessed (if they were watching) the 10th fastest mile in the nation this year by an 8th grade runner -- according to Athletic.net, which maintains rankings. The fastest 8th grade miler so far this year is Judson Greer of Texas who ran a 4:36 mile on April 3, 2017.

Zack Reed is a name that people will hear more of in the future as he advances through his high school years as a track athlete. In my coaching career I was fortunate enough to be able to coach a high school state champion in the mile. I feel that I can identify talent in the mile when I see it, and on Saturday I definitely saw it in Zack. I wish he and his coach well as they journey toward many miles to come over the next several years.

The next time you're at a junior high track meet, keep your eyes open. You just might see lightning strike!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: