Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Today's Milepost Was Over 24 Years In The Making

Today, I reached a milepost in life that all parents eventually arrive at. Today, my youngest child, Brian, turned 18 years of age. Now, I am the father of four adult children (between the ages of 18 and 24). It's a milepost on life's road that I've known for nearly 2½ decades that I would eventually reach. Now that I'm here, it's a moment of mixed emotions.

On one hand, I'm so proud of the young adults that all four of my children have become. On the other hand, I'm a bit saddened to see their childhood years officially come to an end. Along the way, there were countless mileposts reached... losing a first tooth; learning how to ride a bike; learning to drive; and so many other moments. I have over 24 years etched into my heart and memory of times with my children -- sledding, camping, road trips, playing in the yard, and more. Now, I look forward to watching all of them blaze their path in life.

My two eldest daughters have graduated from universities and are in professional positions. My almost 20-year-old son is working full time and creating wonderful music that so many people enjoy. Now, Brian is 18 and will be graduating from high school in less than 5 months. The time goes so quickly, and I cherish the years I had with my children as they were growing up. The walls of my home have many photos of past moments with my kids. Today, I've looked at those pictures with deeper appreciation for the blessing of being a parent.

Yes, life is filled with mileposts. Some we want to get to right away, while others we hope will take a long time to reach. The milepost I reached today came too quickly, but it's one that I know all parents eventually reach. Tonight, I'll be laying my head down to sleep knowing that I'll wake up tomorrow still being a parent, but that my children are fully raised. I'll always be a parent and hope that all of my children will want to seek my advice and/or input as they are reaching for their own mileposts on life's road.

There are more mileposts ahead... such as weddings and grandchildren, although neither of those mileposts are within sight at this time. There's certainly no need to rush things! Ha!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: