Friday, May 24, 2019

"I Wouldn't Advise Anybody to Make a Coast to Coast"

I know a man who finished a run across America this week. He ran all alone pushing a jogging stroller from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean. Immediately following the run, he announced that he would not do it again: "I don’t want to expose myself to the risks in traffic... I wouldn't advise anybody to make a coast to coast -- much too dangerous." I understand how he feels. When I ran solo coast to coast in 2006, I had seven very close encounters with inattentive drivers -- sometimes having to jump into a ditch to avoid being hit. While running across Germany I had to jump over a guardrail.

In this blog, I've written about the dangers of extreme ultra-running pursuits. There have actually been several people who have been extremely injured or died while attempting to run across the United States -- all involving vehicles. In 2017, a university professor running across America to raise money and awareness for lung disease was hit along the side of the road in Ohio and was hospitalized for months as a result. That same year, another man, who was walking across America to raise awareness of climate change, died after being struck by a vehicle in Florida. In recent years there have been several who have died attempting to cross the country on foot. That is one of the reasons why I don't provide advice or coaching to those wishing to try the challenge.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: