Monday, November 25, 2019

The Cost of Keeping My Numerous Ultra-Endurance Endeavors Online

This blog doesn't cost me one penny to maintain. It's a free service of Blogger.com. However, I recently had to pay my annual fees for my domain address as well as my hosting account for all of the content found at my adventure running website. The annual cost to keep the website online is about $80. I've been doing that for the past 15 years to the tune of $1,200. I almost chose not to renew my domain and hosting services this year and simply take everything off of the World Wide Web, except for this blog. However, with a bit of apprehension... I renewed the accounts for another year.

I guess that I'm struggling with the question of whether or not it is worth it to keep available all of the content available through my website -- which includes a lot of content from my solo runs across the USA, Germany, Alaska, Montana, and the Mojave Desert, such as daily journals, photos, audio files, and more. I'll be 55 years old next spring and will be many years retired from ultra-running pursuits. I'm truly debating whether or not I should keep paying each year to have that content available on the Internet.

Over the years, I've had several people tell me how valuable my website has been for them in planning their own runs across a state or country. Just recently, one of my adult children referenced my website in a college paper he wrote on the topic of obesity in America. I look at my website statistics and see that it receives visitors daily, but I still am questioning whether or not to keep the content online.

It has been over 13 years since I ran into the Atlantic Ocean to complete my coast-to-coast run across America. Its been nearly 9 years since I completed my last ultra-running challenge (the Mojave Desert). It just seems that my journey runs are very old news and now that I'm in my mid-50's I'm struggling to find a reason to keep all of that information online. I certainly don't need any attention or kudos for my accomplishments, and since I completed my run across America in 2006 there have been many others who have done the same journey solo.

Perhaps I'm reaching a point in my life where the goals that I set and accomplished in my past are now just fond memories and I don't feel quite the same need to have my running adventures in the Internet eye. The mileposts of "P.A.C.E." -- Promoting Active Children Everywhere -- are far behind me and I'm enjoying the milepost that I'm at and the ones I see on the horizon ahead.

Maybe this is just a part of middle-age maturing. I'm not sure. All that I know is that the locations where my footprints have been placed through my many years of running have long been covered up by the sands of time. It's simply the natural progression of life. What I accomplished in running will always be a part of my history, and I really don't feel the need to have that history available on the Internet for people to view around the globe.

Life's a personal journey and moments of it don't have to be accessible to 7.7 billion people.

May 17, 2021 Update: After 16 years of having a website featuring my running endeavors, I've taken the site offline. This blog is now the main access point for information concerning my past running adventures.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: