Monday, October 26, 2020

As Mr. Rogers Used to Sing: "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood!"

My wife and I live in a beautiful neighborhood. This past weekend, we enjoyed a stroll along its peaceful streets, taking in the gorgeous colors of autumn. While some parts of the country are already seeing snow, we are still very much in the fall season in our neck of the woods -- appreciating temperatures in the 50's and even 60, which is very nice for the last week of October.

I've lived in a lot of neighborhoods in my lifetime, but none as lovely as the one that I live in now -- as the accompanying photo shows. My wife and I are truly blessed to have been able to find the perfect home in such a picturesque neighborhood.

There are many things that I appreciate about our neighborhood. It's very quiet with no thru traffic. People maintain their homes and yards very well. There is no soliciting, theft or police activity (and we have police officers who reside in our neighborhood). There are many different types of mature trees -- such as pine, maple and birch. There's no homeowners association, the roads are good, people are friendly, and it's nice to see families out walking or biking together. It's far enough out of town that we're somewhat in the country, but it only takes a few minutes to get to town. There are no registered sex offenders in our neighborhood (something that is always good to research!). We have a variety of birds that enjoy visiting the feeder in our backyard, and at night we can lay down to sleep with no sounds of traffic. There are plenty of deer in the area, but they generally do not wander into the neighborhood. Overall, our neighborhood is peaceful, pleasant, and perfect for us.

A Pew Research Center survey reveals that 57 percent of Americans say they know only some of their neighbors, while only 26 percent say that they know most of their neighbors. I've lived in my current neighborhood for 2 1/2 years and have gotten to know my most immediate neighbors. It's nice to see people in the neighborhood drive by while I'm working in the yard and give a wave. It's just wonderful living in a friendly, clean, safe and attractive neighborhood where homes are on the more expensive side and hold their value. My wife and I agree, we are now living in our last home.

When I was a little boy in the late 1960's and early 1970's, I used to watch Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood on TV and he always began each show with the song "It's a Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood." Now, at age 55, I hear that song echoing in the back of my mind as I stroll through my own neighborhood. What a beautiful day it is!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: