Saturday, July 2, 2016

The Olympic Torch Lit Up My Life!

I recently had the wonderful honor of being invited to speak at a Vacation Bible School held by a local church. Their theme was based on the Olympic Games, which was quite fitting since the summer Olympics begin next month. I was asked to wear my Olympic Torch Relay uniform and to bring the actual torch from the 2002 Olympic Games.

Over 14 years ago, on January 27, 2002, I had the honor of running with the Olympic Torch during the Olympic Torch Relay across America.

During the 17 days of the 2002 Olympic Games I gave presentations to many school children and visited patients in hospitals, giving others an opportunity to hold the Olympic Torch, experience a piece of history, and to learn more about the Olympic Torch Relay.

The Olympic Torch truly lit up my life in an unexpected way. I was able to meet some wonderful people and share a positive message based on the theme of the 2002 Olympics, which is inscribed on the torch. That theme is "Light The Fire Within" and I've been able to challenge young people to think about the abilities they have and how they can best fan those abilities into flame to shine brightly and to make a positive impact in the world.

The 2002 Olympic Torch Relay Committee searched for people who met one or more of the following criteria:

  •  Inspires others to greater achievement;
  •  Has been a source of community inspiration;
  •  Embodies the inspirational spirit of the Olympic Movement;
  •  Motivates others by encountering and overcoming adversity.

My perseverance, goals and purpose in running, as well as my desire to coach and encourage young people, were some factors which contributed to my being selected to carry the Olympic Torch. Also considered were my efforts to promote such beneficial organizations as the American Cancer Society, World Vision International, and the National Marrow Donor Program. In July 2001 the Olympic Committee notified me that I had being selected out of 210,000 people nominated.

Mitt Romney, president and CEO of the 2002 Olympic Committee, said:
"The Torchbearer selection process goes to the heart of the Games theme. There is a fire, a spirit, that burns in all of us, and we looked for the Olympian in everyone. Torchbearers are people from all walks of life who have inspired others, whether an individual or a community. Our intention is that the flame will serve as a catalyst, motivating individuals to strive for excellence and achievement in their lives, affecting positive change in their own communities."
My uniform is once again stored away and my Olympic Torch is safely preserved. It was nice to hold the torch again and say a few words during the church's Vacation Bible School opening day. The children were very attentive to what I had to say. Putting that uniform on reminded me that no matter where we're at in life it's important for all of us to "light the fire within" and use our abilities for good in a world that is all too often filled with sad, discouraging and painful news. Burn bright today to be a positive and encouraging example!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: