Thursday, August 11, 2016

My Favorite Athlete at the 2016 Olympic Games

I've been a fan of watching the Olympic Games since 1976, when it was held in Montreal, Canada. I was only 11 years old back then, but remember cheering on Team USA during our nation's bicentennial year. I had only discovered running a year earlier, participating in some school fun run events at age 10. The athletes that appealed to me the most were track and field athletes.

At a very young age, I knew that track was something I wanted to do. I was fortunate to run competitive track from age 13 through 19. Although my track days are long behind me, I still enjoy watching any track meet -- from a local middle school meet up to the Olympic Games. Right now all eyes are on Rio for the 2016 Olympics, and I have a favorite track athlete that I'm rooting for.

The one I'm rooting for the most is a 30-year-old woman, who is participating in her 4th Olympics. Her name is Allyson Felix and she has the heart and determination of a true champion. She will run the 400 Meter and 4x400 Meter Relay in Rio, but she will not defend her Olympic 200 Meter gold medal after missing the team by just .01 seconds. Let's put that into perspective. The average person blinks in 3/10ths of a second. Allyson missed qualifying for the Olympics in the 200 Meter by 1/100th of a second! You can't even blink that fast! That was the sliver of time she came up short to be able to defend her Olympic 200 Meter gold medal in Rio.

As many fans of Allyson know, she hurt her right ankle during training this spring and was at less than 100 percent when she ran in the U.S. Olympic Trials in July of this year. On her Instagram before the Olympic Trials she wrote: "This year has been a tough one. An accident in the gym turned my preparation upside down. The journey has been hard. Pain. Frustration. Tears. Anger. Uncertainty. I've poured myself into an endless amount of rehab, therapy and treatment. ONLY by the grace of God I will walk to the starting line tomorrow. Undoubtedly, this will be the hardest team I try to make. I refuse to give up on my dreams. I'm a fighter and tomorrow one of my biggest fights begins."

After qualifying for this year's U.S. Olympic Team she said: "I can't put into words what this moment means to me. All glory to God! He made a way when I simply could not see one. Thank you so much to all of you for uplifting me in prayers. I felt so much support and love when I needed it the most. I'm going to Rio!!! What an honor and privilege to represent the USA in my 4th Olympics!!!!"

Allyson is 5'6" and tried out for track in the ninth grade. She gained international attention at age 18 when she finished as a silver medalist in the 200 Meters at the 2004 Summer Olympics. She specializes in the 100 Meters, 200 Meters and 400 Meters. At 200 Meters, she is the 2012 Olympic champion, a 3-time World champion (2005–09), and 2-time Olympic silver medalist (2004–08). In 2015, she became World champion at 400 Meters. She has won three additional Olympic gold medals as a member of the United States' women's relay teams; two at 4 x 400 Meters (2008–12) and one as part of the 2012 world-record 4 x 100 Meters team. As a participant in the US Anti-Doping Agency's "Project Believe" program, Allyson is regularly tested to ensure that her body is free of performance-enhancing drugs.

Allyson is a devout Christian and the daughter of an ordained minister and professor at a seminary. Allyson describes her running ability as a gift from God, "For me, my faith is the reason I run. I definitely feel I have this amazing gift that God has blessed me with, and it's all about using it to the best of my ability." 

Last year Allyson was quoted as saying: "I am most proud that no matter the outcome my character and integrity is always in tact." I respect athletes that hold themselves to a higher standard, one where character and integrity mean more than anything else. Our world needs more people like Allyson -- those who will commit to being their very best while also being a positive role model for young people. I'll be watching Allyson compete next week and rooting for an athlete who places God, character and integrity above winning.

By the way, when you're watching the U.S. Olympic track and field coverage, you can't miss Allyson Felix. She's the one who is always smiling!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: