Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Tomorrow The Sun Will Rise. Who Knows What The Tide Could Bring?

There's a poignant moment in the 2000 movie Cast Away where actor Tom Hanks (portraying FedEx executive Chuck Noland) says:

"This feeling came over me like a warm blanket. I knew, somehow, that I had to stay alive. Somehow. I had to keep breathing. Even though there was no reason to hope... So that's what I did. I stayed alive. I kept breathing. And one day... the tide came in, and gave me a sail... I know what I have to do now. I gotta keep breathing. Because tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"

I believe that those words have echoed in the hearts of many people as they have finally seen the light at the end of a very dark tunnel. I know that in my own life I've said very similar words to myself -- in the past when I faced some dark and difficult times. Many years ago, the sun rose in my life and the tide came in, bringing me peace and contentment. As I read these words of the fictitious Cast Away character, I can relate with the feelings of despair and the conscious choice to keep breathing... waiting to see what the tide could bring. I'm glad to have those days behind me.

As a Christian, I lean on my faith more than anything during difficult times in life. In the past, when I was waiting to see what the tide could bring in, I would often turn to Scripture passages to ease my heart, mind and soul. I'd like to share some of God's Word with you and perhaps these words will feel like a warm blanket.

  • Isaiah 40:31 -- "but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."
  • Jeremiah 29:11 -- "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
  • Isaiah 43:2 -- "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze."
  • 2 Corinthians 4:17 -- "For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all."
  • Psalm 43:5 -- "Why, my soul, are you downcast? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise him, my Savior and my God."
  • Psalm 147:11 -- "But the Lord takes pleasure in those who fear him, in those who hope in his steadfast love."
  • Romans 12:12 -- "Rejoice in hope, be patient in tribulation, be constant in prayer."
  • Romans 8:28 -- "And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose."

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: