Wednesday, June 24, 2020

I Once Ran Into a Well-Known Actress in the Middle of a Target Store

A little over 20 years ago, I was shopping in a Missoula, Montana Target store picking up a few last-minute gifts for Christmas when I pushed my shopping cart around the end cap of an aisle and ran right into the cart of actress Andie MacDowell. I was familiar with her work as an actress from such movies as Four Weddings and a Funeral; Groundhog Day; and, Green Card. At the time, she had a 3,000-acre ranch in Montana and when I 'bumped' into her I had lived in that state for over 10 years.

There are actually several celebrities who own getaway homes in Montana. I'll never forget attending a Christmas Eve church service in Montana during the 1990's when singer Huey Lewis sat just a few seats away from me. David Letterman has a Montana ranch, as do actors Michael Keaton, John Lithgow and Jeff Bridges.

However, getting back to Ms. MacDowell... when I turned the corner in the Target store and we bumped carts, I knew immediately who she was. No, she wasn't wearing fancy clothes or makeup. In fact, she looked rather simple and modest. It was obvious that she was out doing some holiday shopping alone and didn't want to be in 'celebrity' mode. I smiled and apologized for the cart bump and she smiled and told me it was okay. I wished her a merry Christmas and she offered the same in reply. I continued my shopping and was pleased to see that the other shoppers were not bothering her.

I'm not one to get awestruck by seeing a celebrity. Never have been. Having visited Los Angeles a few times I can see why some celebrities opt to get out of "La-La Land" to enjoy the peace and quiet that a place like Montana offers. I wouldn't want to be a celebrity -- although the bank account that tends to come along with that title is somewhat appealing!

It was nice to have that brief exchange with Ms. MacDowell in the middle of that Montana Target store. Now, at age 62, she spends most of her time at a home she owns outside of Los Angeles.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: