Friday, June 5, 2020

Words of Encouragement in the Most Unexpected Places

I'll never forget the first time I saw my name on a sign board. It was early on during my solo run across America in 2006. I was wrapping up a day of running and was approaching a Quality Inn hotel, where I would be staying for the evening. On the sign board I saw written: Welcome - Good Luck Paul Staso. I was certainly surprised, and as I crossed the country I would see signs welcoming me not only at hotels but also schools, fitness locations, and communities. The words of encouragement were always very appreciated.

Some of the sign boards would also refer to "BOB" -- the 65-pound running companion I had, which was a stroller full of gear, food and water. I logged about 10,000 miles with that stroller.

I must say that after logging a 30 to 50-mile day on the road, it always boosted my spirits to see a thoughtful welcome sign. As my running gained more media attention, I would not only see signs but also receive more honks from supportive drivers -- and believe me, I could tell an encouraging honk from a honk of annoyance about some guy running along the edge of the highway with a yellow jogging stroller!

Unfortunately, I never got to thank those who were responsible for putting up welcome board signs for me. So, I'll take this opportunity to say THANK YOU to those who took the time to encourage a lone runner on his journey. The words truly encouraged me!

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: