Thursday, September 24, 2020

40 Years of Earning a Paycheck -- Life in The Working World

This year marks 40 years since I earned my first paycheck. It all started in my teen years by doing some work for a local parks and recreation department (small tasks, such as stuffing newsletters into envelopes). As my teen years progressed I worked in an animal shelter, a garden center, and as a mall photographer taking photos of kids on Santa's knee. I look back on those teen years of working and realize that it was then that I learned the value of a dollar. Since then, I've had a career that has included being an elementary school teacher, owning and operating a business, and working in the field of law.

States have different minimum wage laws. When I received my first paycheck 40 years ago, the minimum wage for that particular state was $3.10 per hour. Today in that state, it's $10.19 per hour. So, how much time do people actually spend at work during their lifetime? Studies show that the average U.S. employee spends approximately 13 years and two months of their lives at work. If you often put in overtime, you can factor in an additional year and two months. The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics recently published data about the average hours per week worked according to age group:

  • Age 16-19: 24 hours
  • Age 20-24: 35 hours
  • Age 25-54: 40 hours
  • 55 and Over: 38 hours
According to the Center for American Progress, in 1960 only 20 percent of mothers worked. Today, 70 percent of American children live in households where all adults are employed. U.S. Department of Labor statistics back up this data, and notes that 75 percent of those women are working full time. There are certainly a lot of American adults working, in spite of the unemployment rate as reported in August 2020 of 8.4 percent -- or 13.6 million Americans in need of work. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the average U.S. worker currently holds ten different jobs before age forty and during their career they change jobs every 4 years, on average. And, according to the International Labor Organization, Americans work 137 more hours per year than Japanese workers, 260 more hours per year than British workers, and 499 more hours per year than French workers.

In the 40 years that I've worked, I've held jobs in five different states. I'm one of those people who doesn't live to work, but rather works to live. Believe me, during my working career I've known workaholics -- those addicted to the adrenaline that comes from solving a crisis, closing a sale or otherwise tying their worth to their work. I've never been that kind of person when it comes to earning a living. Now that I'm 55, my focus is on the final years of my working life and what I want to accomplish prior to retiring. Most of the world's population (58 percent) spend one-third of their adult life at work. When you consider that another one-third is spent sleeping, that only leaves one-third remaining. I've aimed -- and will continue to aim -- to make that remaining one-third the best that it can be.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: