Wednesday, May 13, 2020

The Average Mind Thinks Between 12,000 to 60,000 Thoughts Daily

Experts estimate that the average mind thinks between 12,000 – 60,000 thoughts a day. It's said that of those, 80 percent are negative and 95 percent are exactly the same repetitive thoughts as the day before.

Have you ever thought about what it would be like to run across America? I first started to think about it at the age of 15 when Terry Fox set out to run across Canada. However, it wouldn't be until I was 41 when I would actually accomplish the endeavor of running from one U.S. coast to the other -- encountering 15 states along the way. In total, the journey took me 108 days on the pavement. The easiest state was Delaware (flat terrain, good roadway shoulders, narrow state), and the most difficult states were Iowa (lots of hills and gravel roadway shoulders) and West Virginia (no roadway shoulder and steep mountains). The most dangerous road was about 150 miles of Highway 12 in Idaho due to large/fast logging trucks, blind corners, and no roadway shoulder. The safest road was Highway 12 in South Dakota, with little traffic, decent asphalt, and miles of visibility.

Here's a breakdown of how I handled that 3,260-mile journey in the year 2006.


To go from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic Ocean required 6 million steps and put 2½ billion pounds of pressure on my body (amount of accumulated heel-strike impact). I burned approximately 500,000 calories and lost 12 pounds by the time it was all over. As most of you know, I ran solo -- pushing all of my required gear, food and water in a support stroller. I estimate that I could have accomplished the run in about 75 days had I used a support crew.

I was stopped six times by police officers wanting to know if I had a child in the stroller; approximately 20 dogs wanted a bite out of my legs for lunch; a man attempted to rob me; I was given $600 along the way by supportive onlookers; and, I went through six pairs of running shoes. I found a set of false teeth along the roadside, was once given five pounds of M&M's, and experienced one hallucination.

I was recently asked if I plan to write a book about my running adventures. I may, but for now I consider this blog to be a "book" of sorts for sharing some stories from the mileposts I've conquered.

From Him, Through Him, For Him (Romans 11:36),

Paul J. Staso
_______________________________________

Visit my YouTube channel -- https://www.youtube.com/user/pacetrek

Click on any of the links below to see some of my adventure photos: